I know that some of you have already purchased the upgrade from Storybook Creator Plus 3.0 to SBC+4.0. Others of you may be meaning to get to it, or maybe you’re hesitating because you’re not totally comfortable with Storybook Creator Plus 3.0 yet.
There are a couple of things I would suggest that you take into consideration before making the jump.
First of all, rest assured, if you’re still working with Storybook Creator Plus 3.0, you can still make Storybooks and order from CM. All of the content that is currently being released is compatible with both 3.0 and 4.0. Not a problem to continue using it.
Now, before jumping on board with the upgrade to 4.0, I would strongly suggest that you look at your computer’s capabilities . The Quickstart Guide for Storybook Creator Plus 4.0 recommends that you have these system requirements, at a minimum:
- Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack 2 (32-bit edition), Windows Vista (32-bit or 64-bit editions), or Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit editions)
- Processor: 1.5 GHz (2 GHz or higher recommended), 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- System Memory (RAM): 1 GB (2 GB recommended)
- Monitor: 1024 x 768 resolution or greater with 32-bit color
- Disk space: 2 GB free space on system drive for software installation; as needed on system drive or other drive for storage of projects and content.
The method for checking your system to verify whether you meet these requirements varies based on whether you are running Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7, but not by much. In general, …
- Click on the Start button and choose Control Panel.
- Click the link on the upper left that says Switch to Classic View.
- Double click on System.
- Under the General tab, you should see information that includes what operating system you are using, how much RAM you have and what the processor speed is.
To find out how much free hard drive space you have, click again on the Start button and select My Computer.
- Right click on the C: drive (or your main drive, if it isn’t labeled C:) and select Properties.
- This will show you how much free space your main hard drive has available.
Why is this really important? Well, Storybook projects, big and small, take a lot of system resources. Photo files are large, and the content graphics (the digital papers and embellishments) are also large files. All of this together means that the software has to juggle quite a load, and that means that your system has to flex some muscles. The minimum requirements are just that: the minimum. I have tried running the software with the minimum, and it doesn’t work well.
So, what does this mean for you? If you’re already running Storybook Creator Plus 3.0 and things are working well, great. If you’ve got at least the minimum or more, try the free 30-day trial of Storybook Creator 4.0 and see how it works for you. You don’t have to uninstall 3.0 to do it, and I would recommend just leaving it in the background. Then you can see how this version will work for you and make the decision.
If Storybook Creator Plus 3.0 runs a little slowly or your computer is older and is closer to the low end of the minimum requirements, you probably want to keep working with this version and wait a bit before moving on to 4.0. It won’t hurt you to do it, and you might have a little less frustration.
As always, if you have any questions, please let me know! I am always here to help.
Until then, Enjoy!