You've heard about this for weeks now, and if you've opened Storybook Creator, you've probably been prompted to update. This is important to do, because it will allow you to create projects to be printed at the Panstoria Print Shop, which offers some fun new items. (You can get an idea about what's offered in my post A First Glance at the Panstoria Print Shop.)
If you've already done it, great! You're all set.
If you haven't done it yet, here's a quick video to walk you through the process.
I know I've fielded questions and concerns from some of you over the last few months about whether your software will be of any benefit to you after CM finishes taking Storybook orders on September 23rd.
The good news is, there is a solution! A motion was filed today with the bankruptcy court with the plan to have Panstoria, the company that makes Memory Manager and Storybook Creator, continue supporting our software and supply an option for us to use the software to print future projects. So don't stop creating those projects!
According to CM's CEO Chris Veit, here's what is being proposed: (Keep in mind, this still awaits bankruptcy court approval, so it's not quite set in stone yet.)
- Both Memory Manager and StoryBook Creator software will continue uninterrupted. Software can be activated through December 31, 2013, and Panstoria will continue to provide software updates as needed. This means that even after September 23, you'll be able to activate your software.
- Memory Manager and StoryBook Creator users will be contacted by Panstoria, and will be given access to printing and other features through Panstoria. The plan and timing for printing has not yet been finalized, but will be forthcoming. Please look for Panstoria news and updates in the Memory Manager and StoryBook Creator news feeds (right side of the main page).
- Any Creative Memories digital artwork you’ve purchased can be activated (without an end date) on any computer.
- Anyone who’s made an investment of time or money in software, projects or artwork can continue to use them uninterrupted.
There's still a possibility that the other interested investor will come through with their deal between themselves, Panstoria and CM, and supposedly, that would be even better. We'll just see. But either way, we can still use our fabulous software. Sweet!
Until the next time, Enjoy your software!
You may have heard already about Creative Memories' bankruptcy filing and been wondering how this will impact your use of the software. We haven't had a lot of information recently on that, but last Friday CM did release some updates for us in that regard. Not everything is well-defined or definite yet, so please keep checking back.
Here are a few answers and action steps you should make time to do soon:
- First of all, YES, your software is still usable going forward. It will not cease to work for you on August 21, September 23 or any other pre-determined date. There is a possibility that there will continue to be updates and support for it after that date, just not from Creative Memories. That is still being determined, so there are no further specifics at this time.
- The CM Photo Center/Digital Center will continue to take orders until September 23rd. So any Storybooks or other digital projects you have in the works must be completed and ordered by that date.
- It's a good idea to make sure that your software, both Memory Manager and Storybook Creator, are updated. The current versions of the software are listed below. (To find out which version of the software you have currently, click on the question mark icon in the corner and select About.)
* Storybook Creator 4.0 – 4.0.4728
* Storybook Creator 3.0 – 3.0.3950
* Memory Manager 4.0: 4.1.4780
* Memory Manager 3.0: 3.0.3691
- Whether your software is up-to-date or not, you'll want to back up the files necessary to reinstall your software in the future. The last day you'll be able to download the full software or the updates is September 23, 2013. To back them up, pick the appropriate version of your software and use the link below:
Memory Manager 4.0
Memory Manager 3.0
Storybook Creator 4.0
Storybook Creator 3.0
- To download and backup these files:
– Click on the appropriate link above
– Select your backup location to save it to
– Make sure you know WHERE you saved it!
That's all there is to it. Just make sure you save the activation code with it.
- If you have uninstalled/un-activated versions of either Memory Manager or Storybook Creator, you'll want to get those activated no later than September 23, 2013. We don't know now whether those will be able to be activated past that date.
- To backup you Memory Vault(s), you've hard before that I always recommend creating a Shadow Copy as the best form of backup. In my experience, it recreates the vault more cleanly, when needed. However, if you need to just make a copy of your vault as a backup, you can copy the entire Memory Vault folder to another backup location. You will need to know where your Memory Vault resides, which is the Documents/My Documents folder by default, but may be different if you designated a different place when you set it up.
- Storybook Creator and Memory Manager aren't the only things you need to consider. All digital artwork will only be available for download from my site through August 21, 2013. So if you have been waiting to purchase content, the waiting is over. That is the absolute last day to purchase content for use with Storybook Creator.
- Likewise, if you still need to download artwork you have purchased previously, the last day to access your account for the download links and activation codes is August 21, 2013. You can also get to your account here. If you need help backing those up, please comment below or contact me.
- Don't forget to use the feature in your Storybook Creator software to back up all your activation codes. It's handy and quick. Just make sure you know where the .txt file is when you're done.
- The last thing to remember, all product codes will (for Storybooks, calendars, etc) will expire no later than September 23rd.
That's the gist of it. Ask me questions, I'll do the best I can. Let me know how I can help!
You may or may not know that CM released a custom scrapbooking album cover option last fall, and then custom 12×12 album pages in the spring. “Custom” in this case, means digitally created, whether by simply uploading photos and using the templates on the CM Digital Center, or by creating digital pages with Storybook Creator Plus 4.0 and uploading them to create your own unique work.
So, I purchased the fabulous deal that CM offered in April that included a 10-pack of the custom pages (that's 10 pages, 20 sides) and a custom album cover. I decided to create my family's 2012 album in this one.
Well, all product credits through the CM Digital Center have an expiration date 180 days from purchase, and my credits were set to expire in the middle of this month. I found that having that deadline helped me to make sure that I got the job done. And the payoff came today … take a look!
And a few of the pages …
I have to say, the quality on the cover and on the pages is the best I've seen yet from Creative Memories! And I didn't have to find time and space to pull out all of my tools to get started on this year's album! Woohoo!
I'm not saying you have to make this choice, but wanted to show you how cool it is … I love Storybook Creator Plus 4.0!
Until the next time, Enjoy!
So, if you've looked at any digital content on my CM website recently, you may have noticed what seem to be duplicate packages that are listed as “Universal Content.”
So, what is Universal Content?
These packages are the same digital content packages that you can purchase for use in your Storybook Creator software, but in more universal file formats (like .jpg, .png, etc.) that can be used in other non-CM software and on Macs. Hence, the term “Universal” because you can use it in numerous platforms.
So, which should you purchase? Storybook Creator content or Universal content?
If you're following this blog, chances are, you already use/own Storybook Creator Plus. In that case, your best bet is to continue to purchase the Storybook Creator specific content. These packages are marked with symbols indicating they work with Storybook Creator 3.0 and/or 4.0. The reason that this would be your most valuable option is that the Storybook content is tagged with extras that will benefit you within the program. CM now pre-tags all of your content so that it's easy to find within the program, doing a lot of extra tedious legwork for you.
However, if you're using another program, the Universal content option, which sports an icon showing an open lock, will give you the same artwork for use in your software of choice.
Hope that answers your questions on that … Until next time, Enjoy!
I had some time to work with Storybook Creator Plus 4.0 the other day, and came across a great feature to the upgrade … the ability to easily delete keywords from an element.
If you ever used keywords in Storybook Creator Plus 3.0, you probably know that they are HUGELY useful for finding individual content pieces when working on a project.
You probably also ran into one annoying little issue.
If you originally created a keyword, let's say … “blue,” and then Creative Memories started keywording their content with a similar keyword, say “Blue,” combining these two keywords was not possible. If you wanted to delete your original keyword, you had to remove it from every individual item by first right-clicking on it in the Content Manager and then selecting remove. If you couldn't find every individual item with that keyword, it was impossible to get rid of it. This could make for a very long list of keywords to scroll through.
In SBC+4.0, adding and removing keywords from an item is much easier than it was before. Try this, it's so much easier.
- Click on Manage content on the Welcome page.
- In the Content Manager, click on the Kit Preview icon.
- Pick a package from the carousel and click on one of the content items displayed to select it.
- You'll notice on the right, there's a text box that will enable you to type in keywords to add to the selected item. If it is a keyword that has already been established, it will automatically check the box for you.
- Once you have keywords chosen for a content item, you'll notice them listed beneath the text box. Next to each keyword is a small red X, making it easy to quickly delete an unnecessary keyword.
Give it a try and see how it works for you. Until next time, Enjoy!